Friday, October 10, 2008

The Last Supper

Well here it is "The Last Supper" post so to speak. The last time I cooked for myself with out the lingering worn out feeling from work, without the hectic feeling of going to school then straight to work and then back home to squeeze inwatching TV with Zigs. And once again I know I don't have it as bad as some cooks.

The dinner in question was Parmesean Breaded Tilapia with Roasted Potates. This was one of those "recipes" so to say that was partially new to me. I've made part of it before (the potatoes) but the fish was an idea that I pulled out of my butt. It sounded good and upon looking it up online and finding a recipe done by Rachel Ray (ugh...F'n Rachel Ray), I figured it could be done.


In light of the fact that I don't want to be one of those blog writers that regularly write recipes (coupled with the fact that I really don't know the exact measuerments). I'm going to stay away from the traditional "Post the recipe, then explain how to do it in pictures" method. I'm just going to post the pictures and explain. So enjoy.

Photobucket


Photobucket

First you start off with potatoes. Like a good pound or two. Actually depending on how hungry everyone is a pound could easily feed two to three people

Photobucket

Photobucket

Then you take your trusty knife (represented here by my new toy, my santaku knife which I finally gave in a bought), and cut them into little pieces. Depending on the size of the potato, you can cut them into fourths or sixths. Then you take said pieces and put them in a bowl

Photobucket

After that you take your spices and put them in the bowl too. The recipe I used said "a mixture of Italian spices." Here I have Parsley, Mint, Crushed Red Pepper, Oregano, Parmasean Spice mix and some mixed Italian Spices. So yeah, use what ever. Pretty much just use them to taste. Theres no set amount I use

Photobucket

Then you take Olive Oil and lemon juice (which I didn't have when I made these) and put them in the bowl.

Photobucket

Then you toss it all. Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees throw it in for 30 minutes or so and then you have something that looks like this:

Photobucket

So while thats cooking you start on your fish. Actually though if you're me you drink this:

Photobucket

Then you do your fish. (sorry, couldn't resist)

Photobucket

Start by putting some flour on a plate

Photobucket

Then crack some eggs, beat them, and put them on a plate

Photobucket

Then your breading

Photobucket

When I made it, used a mixture of Parmesean cheese and regular read crumbs you can get at the store

Photobucket

All in all, your counter should look something like this. Then take your fish, dredge it (aka totally cover it) in the flour, then dip it in the eggs, then cover it with the bread crumbs. A little trade secret is to use one hand for the dry ingredients (Flour and Breading) and one hand for the eggs, so you don't bread your hand.


Photobucket

At this point it should look like this. So then you just throw it on the pan and cook.

Photobucket

Cook to your desired doneness. At some point while this is happening the potaoes should get done. And badda bing, badda boom you have your dinner

Photobucket

Ta Da!!

No comments: