Friday, December 10, 2010

Back to the drawing board

My original plan for this post was about having a dilemma about whether or not to take ANOTHER full time job in Grand Rapids along with my part time one. My hours were getting cut at Salt of the Earth due to the fact that frankly no one wants to drive to Fennville in the middle of winter when its snowing for lunch unless they live in the town.

Well I don't have that dilemma anymore because it was taken one step further: I was let go. What is this, the third time its happened now? Its nothing to be negative about though. The managers and owners crunched numbers and the came to the conclusion that one of the better ways to save money (as opposed to losing money) was to get rid of doing lunch all together. Thus the lack of needing the lunch cook (aka me) especially when they're already tight on hours. So I was a casualty of that. I guess I can't be mad. The economy in Michigan sucks and as a business owner you do what you have to do so you don't go in the red.

Luckily for me, I already had the wheels in motion about a possible second job. I don't want to jinx myself though. Long story short its a place opening at some point in the next month in GR. I sent my resume in, the chef emailed me wanting to set up an interview, I set one up for the day after I got let go, and it went fine. Much like with Sote I did an excellent job answering questions and asking them too. I related with the chef quite well and I left feeling pretty good about it.

Now I just have to get past the Black Box on the 20th. I've heard of chef's doing that but never thought I'd be doing one for a while. Its nothing crazy though. He said he wasn't trying to trick us and that it wouldn't be a competition. He just wants to get an idea of how people work and how they cook and what not. So it should be interesting.

Gee, looking back the whole not being angry thing sounded much better when I was walking to my car on Monday. I understand the reasoning and agree with it but can't help being slightly miffed. I mean its not like I still have Christmas shopping to do, and oil change to get, and I have to afford life in general. Best cast scenario I'll have a new job in a month. But yeah, it just sucks.


On a brighter note, I get my new computer tomorrow (or Monday). Woo hoo!

No comments: